Location: Camden, NJ
Department: Lifelong Faith Formation
Reports to: Vicar General/Moderator of the Curia
The Director of Life and Justice Ministries serves the Bishop and the parishes of the Diocese of Camden by assisting the clergy and laity in promoting a consistent ethic of life, rooted in Scripture and Tradition. The work of Life and Justice flows from the understanding that Catholics are called to be a leaven for transforming society, cooperating with God’s grace to bring about God’s reign of love and justice, by consistently and explicitly affirming the God-given dignity of all people, unconditionally, from birth to natural death. The ideal candidate for this ministry will demonstrate a personal commitment to the Gospel, Catholic Social Teaching, service to the poor, respect for life at every stage and ongoing spiritual and professional development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise the Bishop, diocesan and parish communities on public policy matters relating to life and justice issues including advocacy, action steps and reflection
- Collaborate with directors within the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation to respond to life and justice issues which affect or involve their formation areas
- Insure integral links between Life and Justice and other diocesan offices or structures, e.g., Catholic Campaign for Human Development, Catholic Relief Services, Catholic Charities, Racial Justice Commission, Respect Life Sunday, March for Life, Project Rachel, etc.
- Develop and implement a pastoral plan for Life and Justice, one that includes: regular consultation with parish leaders; elementary and secondary schools; ongoing evaluation of current programs; initiation of new Justice and Life programs for parishes, schools and other constituents
- Attend diocesan and provincial meetings regularly
- Coordinate diocesan delegations to local, regional, provincial and national events that address Life and Justice concerns
- Serve as a member of the Racial Justice Commission
- Person of faith, a participating member of the Catholic Church
- M.A. in Pastoral Theology, Religious Studies or related field (preferred); MA may also be in process
- 3-5 years of experience in supporting and/or coordinating Life and Justice programs, preferably at the parish and diocesan levels, with significant pastoral and teaching experience in parishes or universities
- Solid background in Scripture, Catholic Social Teaching and documents of the church
- Ability to prepare and manage budgets for office, major events and programs in the Diocese of Camden
If interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to HR@camdendiocese.org by January 5, 2019.